Monday, March 28, 2011

Sooo.. We finally went to bottle last night! Ryan's stout and my belgian trappist clone ale both ended up with a final gravity of 1.013 per Ryan's hydrometer, nuch better than the 1.020 my hydrometer came up with last weekend. As mine had an estimated original gravity of about 1.068, that puts my Chimay blue clone at about 7.5%, not quite the 9% Chimay boasts on the blue, but a little higher than the red. Ryan's stout came in around 4%, not unusual for an irish stout, and right on par with Guinness, which has an ABV of 4.1-4.3%. Ok, I know what you're thinking, the alcohol content is nice and all, but how does it taste? Well - Ryan's tastes similar to flat Guinness, mine tastes similar to flat Chimay, right about what we expected. I anticipate awesomeness in a few short weeks. We did about 3/4 cup of corn sugar to 1 cup of water for each 5 gallon batch. We'll be drinkable in 2 weeks to allow for bottle carbonation, but my recipe recommends bottle aging for several months. I don't think I'll be able to wait that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment